Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Losing Faith In Humanity

So I have a Twitter, no shock there I'm a college student staying up to date on all these social networks! Of course I have a Twitter.. well earlier this morning I was on and a girl had asked if we would all pray for her, she found out she had breast cancer.. so of course everyone that I follow and that follows her was like oh yes! Pray for her, I mean who wouldn't?! This is a serious and scary disease that a lot of people, and even me and my family have suffered from. A lot of people have lost lives and had their life changed completely because of this disease.

The reason I am upset and shocked is because it turned out she only lied about having breast cancer so that she could gain more followers. I'm sure a lot of people on Twitter fake stuff and pretend to be someone they are not, especially people who hide behind "anon" accounts. If you aren't into the whole Twitter world an anon account it someone who is anonymous, they post about their lives and such but no one knows who they really are, and they don't have pictures of themselves up.

So like I said it doesn't surprise me that someone lied, I'm sure a bunch of people do, a couple of months ago a girl faked being in a deadly car accident, and two weeks before that someone faked their brother's suicide. So I'm not shocked that she lied, I'm just upset because breast cancer is such an important issue in my family. I have aunts that have it, I could have it, my sister could have it, my mother could have it. It runs in my family and is a serious issue.. I think this one just hit closer to home, and I wish that people would just take life as it is. Bad shit happens to people all the time, why do you need the attention so much that you need to fake something like this???? It's such a serious topic and it's so wide spread.. why would you joke about it??? I think I'm losing my faith in humanity :(

4 comments:

  1. People are going to do what they do. Even though the situation is terrible, if you let these things get under your skin, it will eventually destroy you. That's the thing about a social site, you get all kinds. The best you can do is try to weed out the ones you have issues with and surround yourself more with those that you know are above board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, life is full of people who really don't think it thru before they say or do things. What this girl did to draw a bit of attention was a rather pathetic attempt to gain pity or whatever. Every place I've ever worked there has been one or two like that, who will stop at nothing to get some extra attention. But I assure you for every dumbshit like this girl, there are at least as many good folks who would never joke or lie about such a deadly serious subject. Breast cancer is epidemic in our lives and anyone who's lived with it's toll won't find this stunt amusing. Consider the source and realize that probably 70% of what you read on Twitter is designed to attract attention, take it with a grain of salt and don't let yourself be swept up in it. Just say "my thoughts are with you" if you must say something, and then move on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is full of those kind, who merely want attention.. But,there iare so many good people out there,too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first started blogging years ago I came across something similar. It really upset me at the time but I seem to now be able to ascertain whether people are genuine or not. Some people will stop at nothing to 'get ahead.' But I do believe there are more good people than bad out there. I really like your blog, by the way. It was recommended by Josie. I've put you in my reader.

    ReplyDelete